Monday, January 7, 2013

...To Prove To Dad I'm Not a Fool

Dead Man - M. Ward

Today was my first day back to classes since last July. It was an extremely reassuring and enjoyable experience, contrary to what most college students would tell you.

My day didn't start off the best, however, as my car wouldn't start and I had to walk to school a mile in 2 degree weather. With no shoes. Uphill both ways.

Ok, so those last two parts weren't true, but the part about it being uphill kind of is because Rexburg is the San Francisco of Idaho; it's pretty much built on a hill which has hills on it. I know that doesn't make geographical sense, but it's true.

Other than this little bump in the road, however, it was interesting to get to my first class and remember that feeling of impending responsibility. However, instead of stress, all I felt today was absolute excitement and love for my classes, my professors (all of whom I know on a friendship basis) and the students taking the classes with me. It's close to indescribable and hard to articulate.

Also, on the way to and from classes, I would run into friends, coworkers, professors and classmates and have joyful, albeit brief little reunions. Hugs were shared and fond words quickly followed.

There is something profoundly beautiful in knowing that you are of value to others.

This evening, we met our ward more effectively at a ward get-to-know-you night. The camaraderie paralleled the turnout, which was phenomenal. Afterwards, Jon, Steve and I went to yoga and relearned the meaning of relaxation and physical endurance simultaneously.

There has not been a time in my life that I can remember where I've felt more hopeful for the future and at peace with the present.

I have but God to thank for that.


Mike

Hold On - Alabama Shakes


No comments:

Post a Comment