Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Paper Cliche

Rock 'n' Roll - Led Zeppelin

Hi, I'm Mike and part of my decision for the new year is to blog again. I use the term "again" loosely, as I have never really blogged consistently in my life. Regardless, this is going to be an earnest, honest effort.

I think, to have a kind of consistency and voice in these posts, I'll start each one out with what I'm currently listening to and then at the end post what I'm listening to when I finish. Why not, right?

So, I find it fitting that today I was listening to Rock 'n' Roll by Led Zeppelin. Truth is, my mom put the record on this morning while she was fixing breakfast. But the lyrics in the chorus - Been a long time / Been a long time / been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time - kind of resonate as I sit here. It HAS been a long time; for a lot of things. A long time since blogging, a long time since writing, a long time since composing, a long time since confidence, a long time since comfort...many things. However, over the last month or so, I've "found myself" as people tend to say.

Or rather, I uncovered myself.

My high scores (ignore 1989 - it sucks)
I think oftentimes, we have a person who is our most true self that remains inside us while we smother it with things we think we need to be. Don't get me wrong, there is so much room for change and improvement in our lives. I'm certainly not suggesting that we accept all our faults or shortcomings as "how we are" and never work at bettering them. On the contrary, in fact. But, if I'm the type of person who derives serious joy out of playing Tetris a lot - and I am - then I shouldn't be ashamed or frustrated about that. I should accept that it's a trait I have and learn to love it. If someone else thinks it's lame, that's ok. I'm sure there are things they love that I wouldn't be head over heels for. Just because two people don't have identical interests doesn't mean they can't peacefully coexist. "If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men." (Rom. 12:18)

Alright, if I'm going to do this blog a couple times a week, I'll have plenty of time for rambling later. I really just want this to be an outlet for thought. Sometimes, I'll post writings that I'm working on, book reviews, movie reviews, grammar mistakes that bug me, outlooks on life...really whatever pops up. I just want to keep it consistent. As it goes along, I'm sure I'll establish regular features or things like that. Who knows?


Stay tuned?

Mike


Misty Mountain Hop - Led Zeppelin (My mom's personal favorite on the album)

No comments:

Post a Comment